Monday, August 23, 2010

The Church that Built Me

Linworth Road Church, where I go, just sent a new church plant to the Short North, an are of Columbus, Ohio. A church plant is a new church. For some reason, it made me think about how the church has helped me grow, spiritually. I just think this is so cool! Here are some ways that the church has invested in me. I'm sure there are many more that I can't think of & many more people who've done something I can't think of. I'm not going to even try to think of all the ways that my parents have taught me things. That would probably be a never-ending list! It's cool how, throughout my life, my parents & the church worked together to raise me to be a godly woman.

I remember, as a kid, crawling under the pews, waiting for mom in choir practice.

I had my 1st (unofficial) mentor in middle school, Joanna Bryden (Ribbens). I remember going into an empty sunday school room & praying with her.

I was anointed for the 1st time in high school. I'd never experienced anything like it before, so it kind of scared me, in a way. My mom was using Pastor Chris Old's computer in his office, so I ran to her.

I remember 1 time, my mom & I were at the edge (hs youth group) for a parent thing for the high school students (my bro was there). It was in the old youth room. That's the 1st time I remember mom explaining to me why people raise their hands in worship.

Dad was in charge of the lighting. A few times, I helped with the manual spotlight before we got ones that hang from the ceiling.

I was at the ground-breaking of the new wing of the church.

I was in a co-op there, Linworth Road Academy, when I was homeschooled.

My parents baptized me there when I was 12.

Chris Old has a gift of mercy and helped me through a lot of hard times in high school. He helped me start to develop my gift of mercy.

Not knowing it, Melody Marshall (Bryden), encouraged me to be more expressive in worship by raising my hands. She did that ALL the time! I remember I thought she was cool and wanted to do that. I prayed and started doing it.

The worship band (Kimball, Christine, Chris Homan, Micah Powers) that taught me to worship expressively, lead me in worship through high school, till now, when they just left on the church plant.

Krista bryden encouraged me with hard things that I went through in high school.

Lance Foulis, Krista Bryden, & Chris O. encouraged me by complimenting me on my poetry a lot.

In high school, I met Annie Scott, who I'm still friends w/.

Lance was like a bro to me when I was in high school.

Lindz Hearon & Bonnie Buckeye were my good friends in high school. Lindz & I use to "dance" to "How Great Thou Art."

In early high school, I was in a small group led by Kelly Faler & Sandy Benton. One of them encouraged us girls to write down at least 3 things every day that we're thankful for. The leader got the idea from Roz Short, I think. I had a hard time keeping up w/that for years. Now, I do it pretty consistently.

Casey Clemente was just an encouraging woman of God.

By setting examples, Tom Short & my mom taught me to be bold in ministering to people.

At LT, a conference, I learned & practiced confrontational evangelism & heard God speak to me for the 1st time. That was my 1st time away from home for a week at a time. It was also my 1st time seeing the ocean, which inspired a poem about it.

One time at the edge, Kimball encouraged the high school students to evangelize after he did a sermon on it. The following day, I led a friend, Ting, to Christ. I'd been witnessing to her for a while. A couple years later, I baptized her. We served together in the children's ministry for a yr.

Dale reinforced a couple of manners in me while I was in high school. The leaders of Linworth have always encouraged attendees to have regular quiet times w/God. I think I was in middle school when Dale encouraged us to do so. For some reason, that convinced me to do that. Since, I try to have regular quiet times w/God. I try to do it daily, but I'm not perfect.

One day, I was going through something. I went to the edge, tried to hide my emotions, but Julz Whittenburg (Spain) saw past my attempted mask & we talked for a while.

In high school, we met a few times a yr w/the youth groups of our sister churches in & around cbus to worship together. That was always very encouraging.

I got to know my former mentor, Amy Buchan, at the edge.

Chris Old helped me to lead Britt to Christ. I'd been witnessing to her off & on for about 10 yrs. He encouraged me in my ability to witness.

Nate Clemente encouraged me in my ability to speak Spanish in college.

In college, I was in Becca & Romy's huge small group. It was the best I'd been in. Becca confronted me 1 time about talking too much & not letting others talk (someone had to! lol). That taught me leadership skills.

I went on an encouraging camping trip with Alive.

Through talking to Chris Old & having my 1st boyfriend, who I met there, and making mistakes in our short dating relationship, I believe in a much healthier method of dating. Chris helped me a lot through the break up.

I grew a lot spiritually & in my prayer life when I changed from Alive, the college group, to Becoming, the young adult group. Alive was going through leadership transition & I was ready for a change. I experienced even more community in the new small group. I learned the hard way to be even more transparent with my small group than usual. I got to know Faith, who's the best mentor I've had. I've built a good friendship with Sherrie, who I met there.

In middle school, I assisted in sunday school. I now teach the pre-school sunday school.

At the Good Friday service in '10, I called God, Daddy, for the 1st time without thinking about it.

I have friendships with some older (not that old, just older than me) women: Kay Sales, Susan Stetz, Erin Hendricks, Jan Price, Cathy Klouda, Janet Homan, Sue Clemente, Marcie Old, Lucy Shade, & Dotty Young. Many young women my age don't have that.

David Root was a leader in the middle school group when I was in it. Now, we're in the same small group.

Mike Alm use to help in the edge in my early yrs in high school. I now teach his daughter, Mykenna.

I was in the Honz Bronson (musical) choir as a kid. I've been in the annual Christmas choir for a couple years.

A few of my peers are now missionaries in America & Khazakstan.

I'm very close to the Donahues & Stifflers. Dad was roomies with Uncle Tim & Uncle Dave in college. Our families have been family ever since. They're closer to me than my biological family.

I feel so blessed to have grown up at Linworth & now be able to give back to it by serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment