Thursday, October 21, 2010

NIV v. NASB

I wasn't going to update this until later in the month, if not next month, but an interesting & disturbing topic came up in discussion between my dad & I. I want you to read Psalm 77:1-15 in both the NIV & NASB. I'll put both translations here.

NIV

"I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; At night, I stretched out my untiring hands & my soul refused to be comforted. I remembered you, O God, & I groaned; I mused & my spirit grew faint. You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak. I thought about the former days, the years of long ago; I remembered my songs in the night. My heart mused & my spirit inquired: 'Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? Has his unfailing love vanished forever? has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?' Then I thought, 'To this I will appeal: The years of the right hand of the Most High.' I will remember the deeds of the Lord; I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works & consider all your mighty deeds.Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles; You display your power among the peoples. With your mighty hand, you redeemed the descendants of Jacob & Joseph."

NASB
"My voice rises to God and I will cry aloud; My voice rises to God & He will hear me. In the day of my trouble, I sought the Lord; In the night, my hand was stretched out without weariness; My soul refused to be comforted. When I remember God, then I am disturbed; When I sigh, then my spirit grows faint. You have held my eyelids open; I am so troubled that I cannot speak. I have considered the days of old, the years of long ago. I will remember my song in the night; I will meditate with my heart, and my spirit ponders: Will the Lord reject forever? And will He never be favorable again? Has His lovingkindness ceased forever? Has God forgotten to be gracious, or has He in anger withdrawn His compassion? Then I said, 'It is my grief that the right hand of the Most High has changed.' I shall remember the deeds of the Lord; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Your way, O God, is holy; What god is great like our God? You are the God who works wonders; You have made known Your strength among the peoples. You have by Your power redeemed Your people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph."


I 1st read the NIV. Dad and I were talking about it. He referred to verse 10 in the NASB, which is his study Bible. I had no idea what he was talking about. We got out both translations and realized that the missing verse is crucial to the context of the this part of the chapter. Dad and I decided that, ideally, I should have a 4 translation Bible so that I can read the NIV, for comprehension, and the NASB, for things the NIV might leave out. 

I have no idea how this happened. Translators are suppose to know the importance of translating correctly, the importance of looking at context to understand the Bible. This just really bugs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment